02 February, 2011

The Beginning

Krista and I often find ourselves inadvertently on the same mental wavelength. This project was not really collaboratively planned--I was at my house, tackling clutter and getting back to some creative projects, and ninety-odd kilometers away, she was at her house, resolving to--you guessed it--clear out some clutter and get back to some creative projects.

Meanwhile, on a different mind track, I was thinking about taking on a year-long blogging project. Why? I have no idea. I have plenty of other projects on the go right now. However, I seem to do a lot of things because "it seemed like a good idea at the time." ** I did not, however, have a good idea of *what* I should blog about for a year.

Then it hits me, when we're talking one day--we should do the blog thing together. Half the work and twice the fun! Fast-forward through a few conversations and we arrive at this blog.

Although January was well underway by the time we'd finalized the plan, I knew I had already met the monthly goal. My clutter-clearing focus in January was clothing: mine, and my kids'. In tackling my own overstuffed closet I considered whether the item fit the way I liked, how long it was (adjusting for seasons) since I'd worn it, how much I liked the item, whether the thought of wearing it was a pleasant one, and whether I had more than one similar item that perhaps I liked better. Although I didn't count them, I know I culled at least one thing for each day of the month.

In addition, I did some de-cluttering in the kitchen as we were installing a new cupboard and the timing was right. It seems there are always too many things--that don't get used--in the kitchen cupboards.

On the "Stitch" side of the equation, I really was stitching. I knitted up a pair of armwarmers for myself from various leftover yarns. I am not an expert knitter, and this project presented a bit of a challenge for me, since the yarns were various weights and I had to do a lot of (gulp) math to try and figure out when I should increase, decrease, and make adjustments. In the end, though, they turned out to be very satisfactory, and I'm almost through a similar pair that my daughter requested when she saw mine.

I haven't decided on a February focus yet, although I've tossed some things from my office just to keep up. I think it will be either office or kitchen.


** Exhibit A: my law career.

0 comments:

Post a Comment