09 February, 2011

Getting Focused

I had thought I would choose a de-cluttering focus area to concentrate on each month. Maybe a room in the house, maybe a particular type of clutter. For February I was looking at either the kitchen or my office.

However, I'm rethinking that plan and considering a more free-form decluttering process. So far this month I've been all over the place. Some old papers from my office, a shirt I'm tired of, a half-finished knitting project that's beyond salvaging, etc. I see it, I know it has to go, so it goes. I think this is going to work better for me. Also, I don't know if I'm going to be as particular as Krista in detailing every item here. :) (But I will be ditching something every day.)

However, my most notable ditch this week was an unfinished sewing project that has been taking up space in my sewing room for--are you ready for this?--over seventeen years!

It was a skirt, jacket, and blouse that date back to my law practice days. It would have been awesome (although we wouldn't have said "awesome" then LOL)--really pretty dark teal wool and a coordinating silky blouse. The blouse was partially finished, but the skirt and jacket were only cut out. The pattern pieces were still pinned on to the fabric and many of the pins were rusty.

Many times over the years I've looked at this huge bag of fabric (usually when moving it out of my way to get to something else) and thought that someday I'd finish it, but yesterday I considered it with a critical eye. Let's face it, we're talking almost twenty years ago and styles have changed, even if I were still working as a lawyer. And those shoulder pads just don't work anymore, anywhere. :) So I finally let it go. What a relief!

On the stitching side, I did a quick project yesterday. I had found this great machine embroidery pattern at Urban Threads a while back, and thought it would look great on a t-shirt. I picked up one for $5.99. Yesterday I headed to Mom's and used her machine to stitch out the design, just in time to wear to writing group tonight. If you can't read it in the picture, it's the beginning of Poe's The Raven in--you guessed it--a raven. :)

1 comments:

Nancy said...

love the shirt! and I have NO problem believing an unfinished sewing project from 17 years ago.

Post a Comment